Saturday, June 30, 2012

DIY Nursery Project

First off....drum roll please...we have decided on our little girl's name-  Adeline Elizabeth McGowen!  We think it is great- classy, sophisticated, and unique but not so weird you have never heard of it or don't know how to pronounce it.  To my knowledge, I don't think she can be teased by it when little or turn it into a bad word- haha! Her nickname could be little Addy or Ads or something like that?  We think it will be a perfect name, so if you don't like it- don't tell us!

It is about time we started working on Adeline's nursery!  Robby had gotten this desk for free in college, and I thought it would be perfect to turn it into a changing table for the nursery.  However, it needed some love- hence where the DIY project began....
Desk Before
First, I primed the desk to give it a starter coat.  Then, I matched a green color that goes with the fabric in the room and went to town painting. 
After I got finished painting- I decided it was too "clean" looking.  I am trying to go for a rustic but chic vibe in the room.  So- I roughed it up by sanding the edges and then brushed/wiped stain on to the painted desk.  Robby and I had many learning curves with our first DIY project together.  I wanted to add shelves to the desk to give extra storage for diapers, etc, so we went to Lowe's to buy our supplies.  We bought a big piece of plywood and got the helpful guy at Lowe's to cut it for us.  Unfortunately, we were 1/8" off on our measurement.  Have no fear- we bought Robby a saw for his birthday, SO this was the perfect time to whip it out and correct our first mistake.  We spend 2 1/2 hours trying to figure out how to work that stupid saw- no success.  We then called our new contractor friend who happens to build things for a living- hence he knows what he is doing.   However, he could not figure it out either- which made us actually feel better about ourselves! haha  He still came to the rescue by allowing us to use his table saw. (We ended up returning that piece of a junk saw).  Next, we realized the hard way that we purchased too big of screws to drill into the board (we may have split the board a hair).  It all adds to the "rustic" charm though! haha
Finally finished!
So here is a picture of it in the room.  The nursery is not finished yet, but I wanted to give you an idea of what it will possibly look like.  I want to put Adeline's changing pad on top and decorative touches, etc

My next DIY project was beautifying this old dresser I got for free from my mom. Yay for free things!
I primed and then painted the dresser and drawers.  The pink also matches the bedding in the nursery. 
I gave it the same "aging" treatment like the desk.
I think it turned out pretty cute and will be great to organize all of her tiny clothes! 


Pregnancy Update:  My food of choice has been pretzels and peanut butter.  Addy has been moving around like crazy- you can even see her move my whole belly sometimes (which is kind of weird, but awesome at the same time)  81 days to go!

2 comments:

  1. everything looks so SO great!!! Can't wait to meet sweet miss adeline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pieces are charming! I have a dressing table pad. Do you need one? If so, what size do you need? I could mail it to you. These colors are similar to my 14 year-old's room. The pieces should transition with Ade as she grows.

    ReplyDelete